Legal & Finance Design & Planning Schedule & Cost Health & Safety Renewable Energy Water Supply Heating & Insulation
Home Waste Management Problems & Solutions Tools & Machinery Contact Us Advertise
Building Stages Building  Materials Household Appliances Landscape & Gardening Information Video's


Ireland’s Number One Website For Building A House

Irish Association Of Self Builders                                         The Representative Body for Self Builders of Ireland

Copyright © 2003 - 2017 Irish Association of Self Builders

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via e-mail Print Share on Google Bookmarks


Solar Geothermal H.R.V Wind Wood Pellet Glass B.E.R Grants


By now everyone should be familiar with the energy ratings that we have on household appliances and now a similar kind of system is being brought in for the energy performance of houses. This is done to allow prospective buyers or tenants to factor energy performance and costs into their comparison of different properties and into their ultimate decision. It would give the buyers and tenants the option to view how good the property is insulated and how energy efficient it is before buying or renting.

Is there a legal obligation on property owners to have a BER carried out ?

Almost all buildings that are either newly constructed or otherwise placed on the market for sale or rental will have to have the certificate. The main exemption applies to listed buildings of outstanding architectural or historical importance. The certificate will most likely be similar to the energy label for domestic electrical appliances, which rates the energy performance of the appliance from A to G, and which expresses energy consumption (in kWh) under standard conditions of use .

How will energy rating of NEW HOMES be carried out?

New homes will most likely be rated off the plans during the design stage by a certified assessor.

How will energy rating of EXISTING HOMES be carried out?

Has the method for Building Energy Rating been decided?

The national methodology for energy rating of homes was published in June 2006. The method, called the Dwellings Energy Assessment Procedure (DEAP) is a hybrid of the draft European Standard (prEN13790) and the UK Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP). The DEAP method will be used to demonstrate compliance with Part L of the Building Regulations and also to produce a Building Energy Rating (BER). The national methodology for non-residential buildings has not yet been adopted. The European Standards body (CEN) is currently developing standards for the purposes of the EPBD. Draft standards will be available between April and June 2005 after which a decision will be taken regarding specific national methodologies.

How much will a BER cost?

Cont. Page 2